Our services FAQs

Whatever challenges you’re experiencing; you probably have a lot of questions. The good news? We have a lot of answers. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for here, please get in touch with us.

Filter FAQs
Filter by type of service

Would French Immersion make my child's speech and language problems worse?

Children, Speech & language

Studies have shown that children with language difficulties may do just as well in a French immersion class as in a monolingual class. When making the decision to put your child in French immersion, it is important to consider the exposure to the second language, the opportunities for practice and your child's motivation level.  A speech-language pathologist will be happy to provide you with more information during this decision-making process.

How can I provide feedback?

HSNS organization

Hearing and Speech Nova Scotia values your input. We want to hear from you so we can better understand what we are doing well and what we can do better. Please contact us with your feedback. 

How do I know if my audiologist or speech-language pathologist is licensed to practice in Nova Scotia?

Hearing, HSNS organization, Speech & language

All Hearing and Speech Nova Scotia audiologists and speech-language pathologists must be licensed with the Nova Scotia College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists (NSCASLP) and hold a valid practice permit. To ensure that your clinician has a valid practice permit, please visit the NSCASLP website

Can I accompany my family member to the appointment?

Adult, Children, Hearing, Speech & language

Yes. Caregivers and family members are part of the care team and we welcome you into the appointment. If however, your family member is of the age of consent and asks to attend the session alone, we will respect their choice. 

NOTICE: During COVID, appointments are limited to one support person. 

Can my child receive speech & language services if they are being home schooled?

Children, Speech & language

Yes. Hearing and Speech Nova Scotia provides consultation services to home schooled students across the province. This may include direct service at community sites, through video conferencing and/or indirectly via email, mail or telephone. Students must be registered as home-schooled with the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) to be eligible for this service.

Is there a fee for testing?

Adult, Children, Hearing, HSNS organization, Speech & language

We provide services at no cost to Nova Scotia residents with valid health cards. There will be a cost for those without a Nova Scotia Health card.